Friday, May 22, 2009

Daily Verse Inspiration

Last night I came up with the idea to send out daily verse inspirations. If you'd like them to be sent to you, let me know and I will be more than glad to add you to my list. I decided to do it for the core group of people who is starting a new church in Oconomowoc, WI. I wanted to do something that could encourage us all as times get tough. Here is my first daily verse.

Hello everyone,

I realize that not all of you are on board with the church plant but I added some who may appreciate receiving this anyway. I have decided that I am going to try to send out a daily verse as a way to encourage as all. I know that the days ahead of us in this church plant will be stressful and chaotic. Hopefully this will be able to serve us all throughout these times. If you would prefer not to receive this, you can simply reply and let me know. I will not be offended :)


For this morning I would like to ponder the following short passage in Luke:

"Then he (Jesus) turned toward the woman and said to Simon, 'Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven - for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little'" Luke 7:44-47

I cannot help but think about how I would welcome Jesus into my household/life. Sometimes God can come and speak to us at inconvenient times. It may be during a busy work day, while you are finishing a household project, or perhaps while you are sleeping. My husband was speaking with me earlier telling me that sometimes I want to do everything on my terms. I realized while I was laying in bed that it was true. Not too long after that, God gave me the idea of sending out this daily encouragement. I thought about getting up and doing it right then in the middle of the night. I began to pray asking God if it was truly necessary to do it at such an odd time. Then God told me, why does it always have to be on your time? That is when I submitted and opened to the above passage. You see, my situation mirrors this slightly. I could have acted like Simon. I could have let Jesus in grudgingly, but ignored him, mistreated him, and not loved him. (Or essentially said okay God, but I am going to sleep and will do it in the morning anyway). God tells us that he will come like a thief in the night. Perhaps that has more meanings that what we think. God can come and speak to us "like a thief in the night" or like a "thief in the middle of our busy work day". Are you going to view God as a thief? Someone who steals your precious time away from you? Or are you going to let him in with weeping, kissing, and rejoicing, pouring your valuable perfume over his feet in a sign of reverence? Have your heart open like this woman had her heart open to Jesus. Be willing to receive him whenever and wherever he comes to speak and be with you. God is not your slave. He does not have to speak to you only on your time. I'd suggest that whenever He has something to say, that you put down whatever it is you are doing to be with him.

Sing to the Lord a new song! Sing to the Lord, praise his name! Proclaim his salvation day after day!


God Bless and have a wonderful day!

-Ashley-

1 comment:

  1. Ashley,
    That's really nice of you to think of me for that, but I am by no means qualified for doing that. Ronda would probably be better, she's actually been published (kind of). I'm sure the book is great, but I just don't feel qualified at all to do it. Good luck with it though, that will be awesome when it's published!
    Love you and happy anniversary!
    Cherie

    ReplyDelete