Monday, March 30, 2009

Change



I have realized that change can be very difficult. I used to prize myself in thinking I handled change great. In reality, I do not at all. I get angry, tired, pessimistic, and isolate myself at times. There are periods where I look for something to fill this void, this emptiness within my heart. I have to remind myself that I do not get my self-value from being constantly surrounded by college girls in a dorm or watching television or playing on the internet, or even working (the list could go on....)

It is so easy to lose sight of what really brings you joy in life, which is Jesus. I can be enjoying an afternoon with nothing to do but relax. The devil instantly attacks me with thoughts that I am alone, there is no one in the world that cares about me, etc. This is an outright LIE! We have to claim victory in the name of Jesus! Otherwise, these thoughts can become all consuming! This is how people are led into depressions. Unfortunately, the devil loves to attack me like this all the time.

So, my question is, what do you do in these times when you feel alone? When you have nothing to do but relax? Do you go to facebook to find security by talking with friends? Do you watch tv to distract yourself from how you feel? Do you eat food to make yourself feel comfortable? What is that one thing that keeps you from going to God? I know for me personally, it is not one item, it is several things. That is why it is a discipline. Right now, one of my ways of dealing with these feelings is to journal.



Here are a few verses that relate to what I was talking about:

James 1:2-4 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."

Romans 8:38 "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus Our Lord."


In the end, God can and WILL deliver us from any situation that we are bound in. The only thing we have to do, is ask. God shows up when you call upon Him, I guarantee it.







Psalm 56

-I am reading this imagining that the men who are hotly pursuing me is every thought I had that tries to pull me down into a depression. The thoughts telling me I am nothing, I am alone, no one cares, those are the men who are pursuing me in this Psalm-


Be merciful to me, O God, for men hotly pursue me;
all day long they press their attack.

2 My slanderers pursue me all day long;
many are attacking me in their pride.

3 When I am afraid,
I will trust in you.

4 In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I will not be afraid.
What can mortal man do to me?

5 All day long they twist my words;
they are always plotting to harm me.

6 They conspire, they lurk,
they watch my steps,
eager to take my life.

7 On no account let them escape;
in your anger, O God, bring down the nations.

8 Record my lament;
list my tears on your scroll b]">[b]
are they not in your record?

9 Then my enemies will turn back
when I call for help.
By this I will know that God is for me.

10 In God, whose word I praise,
in the LORD, whose word I praise-

11 in God I trust; I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?

12 I am under vows to you, O God;
I will present my thank offerings to you.

13 For you have delivered me c]">[c] from death
and my feet from stumbling,
that I may walk before God
in the light of life. d]">[d]


No comments:

Post a Comment