Friday, June 26, 2009

God is a Whisper

Before I get into today's daily encouragement I would like to give a backdrop for the story. I am usually fairly decent at praying continuously throughout a day. Whether it is just giving a short thanks for something or just saying hi to the Lord. For some reason, tonight I failed to do so. I worked from 4 - 10 pm and completely shut God out of everything I was doing. I was a busy bee. When I came home, I felt lonely because I hadn't spent time with the Lord all evening. While I was preparing my dinner, God whispered to me, "God is a whisper." I immediately thought of Elijah on top of the mountain and I knew what I had to write about that for today's encouragement. I pray that it will be a blessing to you all who read it.


God is a whisper. How many times do we go through each day ignoring His voice in all the little ways? So often we expect to see him move in grand ways but in most cases, this is not the case. I think back to Elijah on the great Mount Sinai where the Lord commanded him to "stand before me." If you are familiar with the story you will know that a furious wind swept across the mountain, shattering rocks and splitting mountains but God was not in the wind. Then an earthquake occurred but God was not in the earthquake. Then there was a great fire but God was not in the fire. When finally, after all these dynamic events God showed up in the smallest most subtle way possible. In a whisper. I don't know about you, but I think of a whisper as something soft, intimate, personal, and caring. What a great way for God to communicate to us!!! I think this demonstrates how God desires a close and personal relationship with us. He does not want to have to display great feats for man to follow him. He simply wants to be our friend, our guidance, our Savior.

Of course, we have to be willing to go to the top of the mountain like Elijah did and withstand all these other great "fires, earthquakes, and great winds" that may pass us. You see, so many things will come by us in this life CLAIMING to be God simply by some greatness that they have. They come in many different disguises. Today it may be money, television, food, anything that consumes your life and takes you away from God. You must be willing to stand strong through these different "anti-christs" that come and take your attention away from God. Be patient, wait for that soft whisper from God. Because he is always there, even through the great fires and winds. He never leaves nor forsakes you.


May God Bless You All,

Ashley

" 'Go out and stand before me on the top of the mountain,' the Lord said to [Elijah]. Then the Lord passed by and sent a furious wind that split the hills and shattered the rocks - but the Lord was not in the wind. The wind stopped blwoing, and then there was an earthquake - but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake there was a fire - but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the soft whisper of a voice. When elijah heard it, he covered his face with his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. A voice said to him, 'Elijah, what are you doing here?' "

I Kings 19:11-13

dauy8iwk35

No comments:

Post a Comment