Thursday, July 16, 2009

Christianity: Bondage in Rules or Freedom From Pain?

Many people dislike Christianity for all the ‘rules’. Well I think that is nonsense! What is Christianity except a release from the world’s rules? Christianity is how I am able to be my own person. The world tries to tell me that I need alcohol, wealth, clothes, sports teams, a business, my own career, and a mind that accepts anything and everything as okay.

Christianity in my perspective frees me from the above bondages. For my purpose in life is to not buy clothes, save up a lot of money, or to even be the nicest person in the world (let’s face it – I could try but it probably wouldn’t happen). My purpose is to live each day with a love unlike any other. It is a love that exists through any circumstance. It is a love that tells me to accept everyone else with the same love that I am given. A love that rejoices in flaws because I understand I can never fully reach perfection in this lifetime; at least not until I am united with the sole perfector of the universe, Jesus Christ.

Some other religions or philosophies require that we carry around some item that will bring us good luck, good energy, or make us a better person in general. With Christ we do not need to carry anything with us. We have God at our fingertips literally anywhere, anytime. He even left us a gift, the Holy Spirit which dwells inside of us and helps to direct us. You can think of it as a roadmap from God in case for some reason we cannot understand what He is telling us to do; which is ironic, because the road map is still God speaking to us. You see, we cannot separate from Him. He will never leave nor forsake us.

And if God for some reason required us to carry around some “item” what would we do if we lost it? How would we become better people without some physical item outside of ourselves directing us? A lot of us depend on material things to bring us good luck, charm, and energy. Some believe that these objects will even make us a better person. Well I want to ask a question, why would some being, or whatever you believe in, require us to have some material object in order to become a better person? That would mean it would not be accessible to every person in the world. Jesus’ love extends to every person, of every background, race, ethnicity, and class. And the question I brought up earlier, what would you do if it was gone? If you had nothing left in this whole world except the clothes on your back. What would you do? How would you do it?

Can your rock or your so called god do miracles? Can it provide for you holistically? Can your god heal a lifetime of pain? Can it mend broken relationships? Can it guarantee you happiness and an eternity of riches? NO – because there is not ONE thing on this earth that can guarantee that. No marriage, drink, friend, money, energy baring rock, can do that except for Jesus Christ. He does all of that and guarantees you eternal joy and happiness in His kingdom.

The most BEAUTIFUL thing is that we do not have to ‘do’ anything. There was only one factor that “I” had to do. I simply had to ask Jesus to be my Lord and Savior of my life, to forgive me of my sins, and to make in me a new heart. That was the end of it. I was guaranteed a life with God from that point on. Oh, you ask about all the “rules” us Christians must abide by? Well God simply asks us to love Him with all of our heart, soul, and mind and to love our neighbors as ourselves. That is the only rule of Christianity. When you begin a life of following God, when you love Him with all your Heart, that is when all the other things in our life begin to change, that is when you decide to stop doing whatever it is that God has called you to stop doing. But only once you have found God. Christianity is not bondage in rules, it is freedom from pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment