Friday, July 24, 2009

Walking alone..... with God



Often times in our walk with Christ we come to stepping stones. In order to make it to the next stone, we have to take a great "leap of faith" (pardon my cliche). Depending on where we are in the walk, there may be others right with us taking the step. For example, when we are young, perhaps it is our parents who help to give us insight into the Word of God. At other times, it may be a pastor or a friend. But as we grow, there will always be a point where we must come to that stone alone. It is only up to us to make the jump. It becomes easy to glance around and wonder, "why, where are all the others to help me along the way?" Well, my friend, think of it as a glorious event. It is the jump into "adulthood with God." We cannot learn to depend upon these others in our lives to "make" our relationship with God rich and deep. No, my brothers and sisters, it is up to each and every one of us to make sure that the budding friendship with our Savior blossoms into a magnificent flower.

You may wonder why I speak of relationship with God that is so intimate and sacred that no one else can be there with you for it. In the past couple of days I have watched a few movies regarding the Nazi Jewish Concentration Camps. They have tugged at my soul. I even was brought to the point to ask questions like, "God, why didn't you hear their cries? Didn't you see them" which God in turn replied the following:

"Does he who implanted the ear not hear? Does he who formed the eye not see? Does he who disciplines the nations not punish? Does he who teaches man lack knowledge? The Lord knows the thoughts of man; he knows that they are futile." (Psalm 94:9) - great read; I recommend reading the whole passage.

What I am trying to say is that my husband and I are in a place in our life where it can feel lonely. We do not have many physically close Christian brothers and sisters to turn to. We are in the midst of the challenge of beginning a new church and yet we aren't real active in that process yet. I find myself whining saying, I do not have strong Christian brothers and sisters to surround myself in order that I may grow. Yet, how can I make it their job to grow my relationship with God? I must take responsibility for my own placement in Christ. For I do not know the true extent of what good someone else may do for me. As the good Word states, "continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling" (Phillipians 2:12). It does not just say to "work out" meaning that it is all done in one instant. It says continue! Our relationship with God does not end as soon as we accept Him as our Savior. It is JUST the beginning. Everyday we need to wake up and "continue to work out our salvation." We must choose to live for Him daily. This means putting ourselves into the Scripture so that the Lord can challenge and enlighten you in brand new ways.

I pray that you all are seeking the empowerment of the Holy Spirit. It is with this that God can bring light to His word and in your life.


God Bless You All,
Ashley

Psalm 94 : 23

"He will repay them for their sins and destroy them for their wickedness; the Lord our God will destroy them."

No comments:

Post a Comment