Monday, July 6, 2009

Revel in God and He will Reveal Himself





One of the most difficult aspects of Christianity (and sometimes the most frightening) is speaking about our faith to others. It is popular to believe that we need not worry (or prepare) for these encounters because Jesus tells us to "not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you." (Matthew 10:19) However, this popular verse is taken out of context. When you read just a couple sentences back the whole passage says

"But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father through you."

When Jesus was speaking to his disciples about being arrested, he also was warning the disciples that they will be flogged, stoned, and hated ("I am sending you out like sheep among wolves" - Mth 10:16).

As you can see, there is a huge difference between how these disciples were witnessing and how we today speak about our faith in America. We are not facing whippings or stonings. Yet we expect that God will move and speak through us just the same. In my opinion, I think this is a little naive and prideful on our part. It is naive and prideful in the aspect that we do not spend time in God's word preparing ourselves for the situations that arise in which we must speak about our faith or answer difficult questions. Jesus' disciples had walked, talked, and lived the life of a true Christian so of course the Holy Spirit would speak through them when they were arrested (or in any other situation as well). My point is to not make you think that God cannot and will not provide the words to say in touchy situations, I merely saying how can we expect God to suddenly save us from embarrassment (if we cannot answer someone's question or we seem to stumble on our words when we explain our faith) when we do not live fully for Him? If you do not anticipate the questions that others may have - then you will not have the knowledge already in your mind for God to suddenly pull it forth from you and to speak for you.

I have a great friend who constantly challenges me about my faith. I try to answer the best I can. But because of her, I have learned to anticipate what she may ask me. I have thrown myself into the bible, studying it so that God can pull together everything I have read. You see, it is not I who find the answers, but I put myself in a place where God can REVEAL the answer to me. That is the key factor to success in speaking about your faith. You must be willing to put yourself in front of God so He can speak to you.


Remember my devotion about God's whisper - sometimes it is just that, a whisper. And once God has whispered to you, it is your duty to spread the word so that others may see and hear the light.


"What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs." -- Matthew 10: 27



May God Bless You All!!

-Ashley-

No comments:

Post a Comment